Do you have a story idea for Kansas Profiles?
E-mail Ron Wilson at: email@example.com
You can hear and read current and past editions of Kansas Profile.
For audio versions, click here: http://www.ksre.k-state.edu/news/radio-network/other/kansas-profile.html
For a photo related to each Kansas Profile and to see the Kansas Profile in blog form, click here: https://blogs.k-state.edu/kansasprofile/
For text versions, click on the schedule below.
The Huck Boyd National Institute for Rural Development is pleased to present this collection of the "Kansas Profile" radio programs which have been taped since 1992.
Kansas Profile is a weekly radio feature produced by the Huck Boyd National Institute for Rural Development. The Institute's mission is to help rural people help themselves. Kansas Profile was conceived to help achieve that mission.
Each week the program describes the ideas and achievements of a local leader or entrepreneur in a rural community. By providing positive recognition to such leaders and sharing their ideas, we hope to encourage these and other Kansans to build on their examples. In doing so, rural Kansas can be made an even better place to live and work.
On May 22, 1992, "Kansas Profile" went on the air for the first time. Kansas Profile is broadcast weekly on several stations: KMAN in Manhattan, WIBW in Topeka, KCLY/KFRM in Clay Center, KBUF in Garden City, KDCC/KONQ in Dodge City, KGGF in Coffeyville, KJRG/KOEZ in Newton, KKAN/KQMA in Phillipsburg, KNDY in Marysville, KNZA/KMZA in Hiawatha, and KUDL in Kansas City. On KMAN, the program airs at 7:20 a.m. each Saturday but you would need to check with the other stations for their local broadcast times.
The links on the left side of this page will bring up the complete text of every person profiled during the year indicated. The profiles describe the situation as of the time when the profile was written. In many cases there have been subsequent changes which would not be reflected in the profile.
The Huck Boyd Institute would like to thank the KKSU staff for their help and cooperation in making this program possible. Special thanks to Southwestern Bell for the Community Enrichment grant which funded the computer equipment making it possible to access these profiles on-line.
We know there are many more excellent and interesting examples across the state of Kansas. We encourage the public to provide us with suggestions of Kansas people, businesses or communities which would make an interesting profile.
There is one phrase which the reader will find in some form in every one of these profiles. The phrase is: "Making a difference."
We salute all those rural Kansans who are making a difference. There are thousands of these people across the state: volunteers, entrepreneurs, unheralded, unsung, who care enough to make the world around them a better place. Each day, in countless ways, big and small, they are making a difference at the grass-roots level.
Schedule of 2019 and 2020 Profiles:
- January 2, 2019 - Blake Lynch, K-State Kicker, Goddard
- January 9, 2019 - Mike Pray and Jake Trummer, Friendship House, Wamego
- January 16, 2019 - Clara Reyes, Dos Mundos Newspaper, Kansas City
- January 23, 2019 - Kansas Firsts
- January 30, 2019 - Laura and Ronn Martin, Sew Loved Quilt Shop, Elkhart
- February 6, 2019 - Trent Boaldin and Becki Richardson, EpicTouch, Elkhart
- February 13, 2019 - Dusty Turner, Moto Guzzi, Cedar Vale
- February 20, 2019 - Dusty Turner, Peace Party, Cedar Vale
- February 27, 2019 - Alan Vance, Broce Broom, Dodge City
- March 6, 2019 - Tim Penner, Harper Industries, Harper
- March 13, 2019 - Todd Steinbach, Aero-Mod, Manahttan
- March 20, 2019 - Richard Pitts, Living History, Manhattan
- March 27, 2019 - Jerry Rumbaugh and Dan O'Neal, Studio 57, Dwight
- April 3, 2019 - Adam and Maggie Pounds, Simple Abundance Farm, South Hutchinson
- April 10, 2019 - Jan Leonard, Pioneer Medicine and Bonnie and Clyde, Hugoton
- April 17, 2019 - Mark Nutsch, Heroic Soldier, Washington/Alma
- April 24, 2019 - Angie Muller, Russell County Area Community Foundation
- May 1, 2019 - Rosslyn Schultz, Post Rock Limestone Coalition, Lucas
- May 8, 2019 - Darin Miller, Iron Clad Coworking, Wamego and Manhattan
- May 15, 2019 - Amber Starling and Joe Gerken, One Miliion Cups, Wamego and Manhattan
- May 22, 2019 - Heather Horton, Block22, Pittsburg
- May 29, 2019 - Heather Horton, Toast, Pittsburg
- June 5, 2019 - Tom Circle, Circle's Pecans, McCune
- June 12, 2019 - Stephanie and Doug David, Bow Creek Ranch, Lenora
- June 19, 2019 - Carl Parcher and Richard Goble, South Haven LP and Service, South Haven
- June 26, 2019 - Madonna of the Trail, Council Grove
- July 3, 2019 - Martha Hadsall and Pat Patton, Patterson Health Center, Harper County
- July 10, 2019 - John and Jina Kugler, Bug Hounds, LLC, Wamego
- July 17, 2019 - Lynn Smith, Pioneer Bluffs
- July 24, 2019 - Don Whitten, Beecher Bible and Rifle Church, Wabaunsee
- July 31, 2019 - Paula Peters, Culture of Health
- August 7, 2019 - Jerad Gooch, Leoti Foods, Leoti
- August 14, 2019 - Virginia Barnes and Emily Green, Pathways to a Healthy Kansas
- August 21, 2019 - Verl and Kathy Coup and Shawni Sheets, Talmage Historical Museum, Talmage
- August 28, 2019 - Mike and Donna Uhl, Allen Meat Processing, Allen
- September 4, 2019 - Buddy Williams, Custom Rope, Kiowa
- September 11, 2019 - Mike and Amy Jensen, Jensen Farms, Professor's Classic Sandwich Shop and More, Yocemento/Hays
- September 18, 2019 - Teresa Arnold, Kansas's Biggest Barn Quilt, Ashland
- September 25, 2019 - Charles Curtis, U.S. Vice President, Topeka
- October 2, 2019 - Phil and Sharron Knox, AgSun, Brewster
- October 9, 2019 - Chris Broeckelman, Natoma Woodworking, Natoma
- October 16, 2019 - Bob Ralph, Princeton Popcorn, Princeton
- October 23, 2019 - Jessica Busteed, Cornerstone Bakery, Yates Center, Part 1
- October 30, 2019 - Steve Radley, Rural Road, Yates Center, Part 2
- November 6, 2019 - Steve Radley, Network Kansas, Part 3
- November 13, 2019 - Lana McPherson, International Institute of Municipal Clerks, De Soto
- November 20, 2019 - Lucille Heller, Leadership Mitchell County
- November 27, 2019 - Linda Clover, World's Largest Ball of Twine, Cawker City
- December 4, 2019 - Sara Dawson, Prairie Oaks Design, Florence
- December 11, 2019 - Joel Gaeddert, Flint Hills Design, North Newton, Part 1
- December 18, 2019 - Aaron Gaeddert, Prairy, Newton, Part 2
- December 25, 2019 - Dave Gaeddert, Dropseed, North Newton, Part 3
- January 1, 2020 - Harry Trotter and Trey Dishon, K-State Football, Atchison and Horton
- January 8, 2020 - James Kenyon, Golden Rule Days book, Bogue
- January 15, 2020 - Melinda Williamson, Morning Light Kombucha, Hoyt
- January 22, 2020 - Terri Anderson, SlideonInn Horse Hotel, Edson
- January 29, 2020 - Kelly Lenz, Farm Broadcaster
- February 5, 2020 - Byron Githens, Old Iron Club, Fredonia
- February 12, 2020 - Kay Haffner, Grainfield PRIDE
- February 19, 2020 - Billy Fogo, DVSport, Leoti/Colorado Springs
- February 26, 2020 - Norm Conard, Part 1, Irena Sendler, Uniontown
- March 4, 2020 - Norm Conard, Part 2, Lowell Milken Center for Unsung Heroes, Fort Scott
- March 11, 2020 - Dick and Mary Beth Boyd, Norton Telegram
- March 18, 2020 - Mark and Julie Lambert, Athena Spinning, Chanute
- March 25, 2020 - Nick Poels, Phillips County Coding
- April 1, 2020 - Susan Schlichting and Dave McDaniel, Youth Community Perceptions, Ellis
- April 8, 2020 - Damian and Heidi Hilton, Little Apple Aerials, Manhattan
- April 15, 2020 - Hayes and Roger Kelman, Boot Hill Distillery, Dodge City
- April 22, 2020 - Phyllis Cheney, Phyllis' Flowers & More, Chapman
- April 29, 2020 - Haley Stratmeier and Carrie Marion, Tonja's Toffee, Modoc/Scott City
- May 6, 2020 - Alicia Boor, Great Bend Virtual Farm Show
- May 13, 2020 - Lea Ann Seiler and Dr. Kristie Clark, Hodgeman County Makerspace, Hanston
- May 20, 2020 - Mark Clear and Lyndsi Oestman, Loma Vista Nursery, Ottawa
- May 27, 2020 - LeAnn Clark and Laurie Curtis, Ethiopia Reads
- June 3, 2020 - Rick McNary, Shop Kansas Farms, Potwin
- June 10, 2020 - Jason Wright, Nike Designer, Garnett/Westphalia
- June 17, 2020 - Shelly Decker, Ranchin' Misfits, Rosalia
- June 24, 2020 - Dan Murphy, Mid-America Piano, Manhattan
- July 1, 2020 - Shanna and Michelle Lindberg, Soul Sister Ceramics, Courtland
- July 8, 2020 - Scott and Jennie Andersen, Kansas Earth and Sky Candle Company, Ellinwood
- July 15, 2020 - Julie Riggins, Goat Milk Soap Store, Ottawa/Pomona
- July 22, 2020 - Lacey Noterman, Virtual Livestock Show, Sublette/Satanta/Copeland/Moscow
- July 29, 2020 - Gabe Spurgeon, South Baldwin Farms, Baldwin City